Vote for New Action surges; Mulgrew wins big

New Action’s vote total more than doubled among Functionals, and jumped a startling 61% overall. The raw totals and percents increased in every division.

Based on preliminary results, New Action’s vote total increased from 3500 to 5500, while Unity’s increased from 35,200 to 40,400. Two smaller caucuses, ICE and TJC, saw their totals drop to 4000, from a peak vote of 5400 three years ago.

New Action’s presidential candidate Michael Mulgrew ran and won for the first time. He received about 80% of the vote from his own caucus, Unity, and 11% from New Action. This total, over 91%, represents the highest presidential margin going back to at least Shanker.

Importantly, the number of members voting increased in every division, from a total of 29% three years ago to 32%.There were a total of 167,984 ballots mailed, of which almost 54 thousand were returned.

New Action’s vote by division:

  • Elementary: 978, up 74% from 562, three years ago
  • IS/JHS: 421, up 54% from 273, three years ago
  • HS: 774, up 49% from 521, three years ago
  • Functional:  1175, up 114% from 548 three years ago
  • Retirees: 2234, up 38% from 1616 three years ago

New Action finished second overall, and second in Elementary, IS/JHS, Functional, and Retiree Divisions

Eight New Action candidates won seats on the new Executive Board.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *